Fiscal results: Microsoft Investor Relations - Earnings Release FY12 Q2.
My favorite tech bloggers:
- Todd Bishop - Microsoft beats estimates even as Windows profits fall 11% - GeekWire
- Mary Jo Foley - Windows drops to No. 3 cash-cow status in Microsoft' latest quarter ZDNet
- Ina Fried - Slower Windows Sales Dent Microsoft Earnings - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD
- Jay Greene - Microsoft earnings meet expectations as Windows sales dip Microsoft - CNET News
- Joe Wilcox - Microsoft Q2 2012 by the numbers Windows revenue falls 6%
Sorta looks like there's a trend with reduced PC sales impacting Windows. It will be interesting a year from now to see (given that it's released for Holiday 2012 and all) if we see Windows 8 reversing the trend. Of course, the economy could just be better by then.
End of the obligatory quarterly post.
Briefly: what's going on here? Well, obviously, not much.
The only thing I've felt an urge to write about recently is Microsoft's curiously messed up media strategy when it comes to video and music. Zune Music is on its deathbed, Media Center moved back to Windows and that basically put it on indifferent life support. Microsoft breaking from Dolby in Windows 8 means a lot of stuff that used to work out of the box won't. But maybe the mess is simply a chaotic churn of local media assets being deprecated for services and for Xbox to start replacing media PCs.
I'm none to happy, but I'm one of those dinosaur's who loves the dickens out of his Media Center setup.
That small missive aside: I've avoided putting the Mini Cap on just because of dealing with the constant drone of negativity. Yeah yeah I made that bed and the chickens are coming home to roost in it. Or something like that. Comment moderation right now is a necessity and one big bumming drag. So I stopped. Sorry you 120+ pending comments. Once Google Blogger has native support for community influenced commenting (just voting up and down, that's all I want) I'll be more interested in resuming posts. For now, it's gotta be something major for me to put that Mini Cap on.
See you next quarter!